My staff…My friends…My Skybox Crew!
People say that your coworkers can make or break your workday….I completely agree. When I started the company, I didn’t think about being a boss or even managing a staff. But I soon came to realize that as my company grew this role became essential in the success of my business. I slowly developed a Skybox team…each member coming into the group at a important time of the company’s growth…some started from the very beginning and others have just recently begun their internship but each individual bringing their personal talents to share to the team. Together, we have taught each other many significant lessons and I only expect us to continue to learn and grow from each other. This year we started a new tradition…monthly meetings on the second Monday of every month…we meet up once a month outside of work to catch up, hang out, and learn from each other. So far only two meetings but I really look forward to them all. I would like to take this opportunity to recognize my staff for their commitment to me and Skybox. I can truely say that my staff…my friends…my Skybox crew…really makes my day!
Tips on Maintaining a Positive Workplace (Resource: HumanResource.com)
- Provide opportunities for your staff to make decisions about and control and/or influence their own job.
- Make opportunities available for your staff to express their opinion about workplace policies and procedures.
- Develop and publicize workplace policies and procedures that organize work effectively. Apply them consistently.
- Help them feel like members of the in-crowd; each person wants to have the same information as quickly as everyone else. Provide the context for decisions, and communicate effectively and constantly.
- Afford people the opportunity to grow and develop. Training, perceived opportunities for promotions, lateral moves for development, and cross-training are visible signs of an organization’s commitment to staff.
- Provide appropriate leadership and a strategic framework, including mission, vision, values, and goals. They want to feel as if they are part of something bigger than themselves. If they understand the direction, and their part in making the desired outcomes happen, they can effectively contribute more.
- Provide appropriate rewards and recognition so people feel their contribution is valued. The power of appropriate rewards and recognition for a positive workplace is remarkable.
Photo by Caroline Tran
Post Published on February 9, 2010.