Cool summer menu for blazing hot days. It has been really hot lately. I bet you want to entertain but you are too hot to even turn on the oven. Here are some fun recipes and ideas to get you in and out of the kitchen fast, without even having to turn on the heat.
Chilled Peach Soup with creamy Greek yogurt
- 3 large very ripe peaches, diced (or 1 can of peaches in light syrup – drained)
- 2 tbls of sugar
- Orange Juice
- 1 tsp of fresh basil or mint
- Greek Yogurt for Garnish
1. Take your peaches and place in a food processor. If your peaches are not ripe enough, you will not get the right texture. Add Sugar til desired sweetness. Add orange juice to get desired texture.
2. Add chopped basil/mint. Place in a glass bowl, and refrigerate til ready to serve.
3. Garnish with a dollop of Greek Yogurt.
A great start to any meal this summer. Sweet and refreshing with a hint of tang from delicious and healthy Greek yogurt. Garnish the top with a fresh sprig of basil to have a beautiful presentation.
Asian Chicken Salad
- 1 Head of Napa Cabbage, shredded
- 1 head of Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 tbls of toasted Sesame Seeds
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached and sliced
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- ¼ cup of toasted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ of soybean oil
- 1 tsp of toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of mirin or seasoned rice wine vinegar
1. Combine cabbage and lettuce in a bowl. Set aside
2. Combine orange juice, zest, soy sauce, soybean oil, sesame oil, and mirin in a bowl. Wisk together, add salt and pepper. Set aside
3. Combine lettuces and chicken in a bowl. Dress with dressing that was set aside. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced almonds.
A simple, classic salad that you can make with probably most of the ingredients you have lying around at home. Make it even easier by using pre-cooked chicken, that way you don’t even have to turn on the heat.
Simple Chocolate Cake
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons whisked egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- A drop of vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients in a large coffee mug. Microwave for 2 ½ minutes. Serve with your favorite ice cream and enjoy.
A fantastic find while surfing the internet. Trying to find a way to make dessert without the oven is amazing. An easy, delicious, and quick treat that you can whip up while your guests are there. Share in the fun by having your friends mix up their own mugs of cake, that way you can spread the love of a delicious Microwave Cake.
For more menu ideas purchase a copy of Inspired Celebrations
Post Published August 30, 2012. Blog post from our favorite Skybox Foodie: Jay Cosico. Photo by Caroline Tran.